Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, August 30, 2010

Updating Retro Classics Face of the Day

I was looking at celebriy pictures for a make up tutorial and came accross this picture of Gwen Stefani.

I love Gwen's style especially her ability to bring fresh life to old classics. If you're not into the time honored, classic looks you can still take a lesson or two and put a new spin on the classic, retro look. Inspired by re-vamping retro looks I created this Face of the Day along with a couple tips and tricks to make this look your own.

Because I am going to be adding a deep colored lipstick later, I took a home-made scrub of olive oil and sugar and exfoliated the dead skin off of my lips. After that I applied a lip balm to soften as I did the rest of my face

I used my Essence of Beauty Contour and Eyeshadow brush to apply my concealer and the shadow end to apply Stila's kitten shadow all over my lid and a little on your inner corner.

Then with the same shadow brush I applied Stila's Chloe shadow into the crease as a contour.


Now it's time for the fun part. The liner! One of the best ways to update the old winged liner is to ditch the black and opt for a colored eyeliner. I used Smashbox Proof Cream Liner Palette in Midnight Purple and Japonesque's angled brush.



To wing out your liner you start with putting your eyeliner on as close to the lash line as possible (sometimes using short strokes helps keep the line uniform) and thickening that line as you reach the outer corner.

Next, using your lower lash line as a guide, make a line from the edge of that first line towards the end of your eyebrow. 

Finally fill in a triangle from the end of the wing to your lash line and there we go! Winged out eyeliner in minutes! And if you make a mistake, no problem. Just take a make up remover wipe or cotton swab dipped in make up remover and clean up the line. 

You can leave it at this or you can set the eyeliner like I did with Bare Minerals Shadow/Eyeliner in Black Ruby.

After this I just curled my lashes and applied Benefit's Bad Gal Lash to my upper lashes.


Next I used Revlon's ColorStay Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin in 110 Ivory and buffed it into my skin with a stiff, flat, face brush and then set it with the same brush and Physician's Formula Mineral Face Powder in Translucent Light.

Next I contoured my face with Physician's Formula Mineral Face Powder in Light Bronzer.

I like using a flat, stiff brush to contour my face because I feel like it really gets into the contours of my face. The one I use is Benefit's Powder Brush. Making a fish face and starting out by my temples I take the bronzer and blend it out down under my cheek bones.

Finally for my face I used my Mac 187 brush and Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips in Malibu Strip/Pink Sand Bronzer and applied it to the apples of my cheeks and down the bridge of my nose.
For my lips, I wanted to take a different spin on the sexy, red lip so I used NYX Round Lipstick in Pandora, a fun, deep purple/plum which brings the mystery of a deep lip while being in step for the new fall trends!

Other ways to update the classic red lip besides opting for berry tones is to replace the lipstick with a gloss. Its less scary to wear and makes the look more day-friendly and modern.

What is your favorite eyeliner color? Or do you just stick with the classic black? Let me know in the comments! And if there is a celebrity make up tutorial you want to see let me know as well! Hope everyone is doing well <3

~Beatrice
**DISCLAIMER**

I have purchased this item with my own money and any and all reviews are my honest and humble opinion. I am not affiliated with this brand or company in any way.

4 comments:

  1. Love it and much because the liner is not black. Will try tomorrow, since I have dupes for the shades.

    Greetings from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) And I hope you post a picture up of it! I'd love to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this look...your liner is perfect! I can never get mine to come out right:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw thank you! :) and I could never do it with the usual liner brush. Once I used the angled liner brush it was so much easier for me. also if you mess up, all you need is a cotton swab and some eye-make up remover. then VOILA! ^^

    ReplyDelete